i thought i would share some of what i've been whipping up in the kitchen.
yellow curry with broccoli raab, leeks and potatoes
1 bunch broccoli raab cut into 1" pieces
2 small leeks, sliced
5 small potatoes in 1" chunks
jar of Trader Joe's yellow curry sauce
- blanch broccoli raab and submerge in cold water, drain and set aside.
- add 2tbs of oil to a wok, add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant
- add leeks and cook a couple of minutes
- add potatoes. stir and cover. cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- in a bowl, mix curry sauce with 1 c. yogurt and .5 cup water—add yogurt or water to adjust consistency and mix well.
- add sauce into wok and heat through.
- add raab and heat through.
- enjoy! serve with white rice.
1 bag of stinging nettles
1.5 c. toasted walnuts
1 c. asiago cheese
- carefully steam nettles for 5 minutes (don't touch them!)
- place steamed de-stinging nettles with walnuts, cheese and garlic in a food processor and pulse until well chopped.
- add olive oil while running food processor to achieve desired consistency
- scrub sunchokes well and cut into even sized chunks
- toss will olive oil, salt and chopped rosemary
- spread on baking sheet with whole, peeled garlic cloves
- bake in oven at 400 under crispy and tender inside
4 stalks of rhubarb, chopped
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
- boil sugar & water until clear
- add rhubarb and simmer until rhubarb has broken down
- remove rhubarb and/or strain
- use in cocktails or to make fresh rhubarb lemonade
i highly encourage folks to shop their markets and eat accordingly. it is a lot of fun and instills a sense of adventure in the kitchen. i'd love to hear what everyone else is coming up with too...do tell!