4.23.2008

today it is raining, raining, raining...
maybe it will help my beds and gypsum.

i've figured out that my soil is a sodic clay with some potential silt issues. it has a crusting problem which is not good for my innocent little seedlings. so i did some research and found that gypsum should help.

unfortunately, i might not be able to trust the nutritional value of the dirt either.this weekend i will probably spend mixing in grass clippings and compost into the soil. it might undo the seeding work i did (lettuces, onions, herbs, beets, chard, spinach, kohlrabi) which is unfortunate but in the long run it would probably be better to have a good foundation than an early start.

either way, i am a little bummed that the dirt wasn't as fantastic as it was in portland and that there is additional work to be done...

not to mention the bill for my fence work staring me in the face. grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

questions? comments?
amusing and/or educational stories?